The Hurricane Nation Online

The Official Student Newspaper of Huntingtown High School

Community Comes Back To School

February 28th, 2012
By Nisa Hussain

Let’s all be thankful that the hilarious cult-favorite show is returning to its rightful place—on our television screens every Thursday night.  After a painful hiatus full of online and physical protests, it is finally official. Announced on Twitter by the show’s creator, Don Harmon, Community will begin airing again on March 15th in its usual slot, Thursdays at 8 pm.

Community, the comedy about a diverse study group of students at a community college called Greendale, has proven to be one of the funniest, most clever shows currently on television.

However, apparently not enough viewers were lured in for sufficient ratings. NBC rearranged the midseason lineup and Community didn’t make the cut. “Here’s the problem with Community: It’s a guaranteed money-loser for NBC, no matter how many people on Twitter love it,” wrote Los Angeles Times’ Scott Collins on Twitter.

It makes sense. The show’s fantastic for the fans who already love it, but nobody else seems to have heard of it (despite its airing right before fan-favorites like The Office). All I wanted was an opinion from a Huntingtown student, but the only responses I got were vague no’s and questions about this mysterious, unknown show. Finally, Senior Gabby Gutierrez recognized the show. She was first introduced to the show in class for the showing of the episode on international relations and had a positive review, commenting,  “I’ve only seen a few other episodes, but I really liked it. The character dynamics are really amusing because they’re all so random together. There’s like the hipster and the Christian mom and the old racist guy and together it’s so good. It’s completely different kind of humor, but it’s funny that way,”

For the few fans somewhere in the school, I think we can all agree that new fans need to be recruited to save Greendale from any future cancellations by NBC. Here are a few reasons to be curious about Community:

• Everyone loves Joel McHale. (You know, from The Soup!)
  • The parodies are spot-on (When Glee took over Greendale, the study group made sure to constantly stress the importance of “regionals” after belting out a few musical numbers)
  • Ken Jeong is hilarious as always. He’s the naked guy from The Hangover! In the show, he plays the ridiculous Spanish professor/campus cop wannabe
  • You will learn so much from Abed, the pop culture robot genius, in a single episode
  • The ridiculous storylines are fraught with pop culture references (When Troy is discovered to be a natural plummer/electrician, the Good Will Hunting allusion is priceless)
  • You might recognize Donald Glover, who plays Troy (the former quarterback, now superhero-obsessed geek) from his stand-up on Comedy Central
  • Donald is also an awesome rapper. Check out Childish Gambino

Comments

7 Comments

RSS
  • Trevon says on: March 7, 2012 at 2:00 AM

What a great blog

• Opik says on: March 26, 2012 at 4:15 AM

- these are awesome shots of our dear nisa and her sweet fam! love them all, but was toatlly blown away by the black-and-white faces family shot (right under keaton’s solo black and white). and if nisa’s trunk suddenly disappears, it’s probably because i’ve stolen it. LOL. it’s to-die for! terrific, terrific shots! :) October 16, 2010 1:20 am

• Maki says on: March 21, 2012 at 11:11 PM

good post, added you to my RSS reader.

• Dominik says on: March 26, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Any review for eitehr season of Community should really just be: You need to watch this show. I’m going to say more about it anyway. The first season had some awesomely weird episodes, but the second season really raised the bar with its weird-in-the-best-way-possible episodes. I’ll use Physical Education as an example of a weird episode from season one: Jeff doesn’t want to play pool in tiny, 80s style gym shorts. Hilarity ensues. The description of the Jeff story in PE is basically that simple. However, everything comes together so well. What starts out as a conflict with a tiny amount of pride at stake (Jeff has plenty of pride to lose) ends up in this bizarre stand-off and hilarious resolution. Not only is it funny, but the episode actually develops Jeff’s character, bringing him away from his original too cool mentality and more in line with the rest of the group. Season two has episodes that make PE look as normal as an episode of The Cosby Show. What other sitcom has canonical zombie and stop motion animation episodes? How awesome was the clip show with a bunch of bizarre snippets from stories we never saw? Trampoline Eden. Chloroform Annie. An Office-like episode with LeVar Burton. The list of I can’t believe they’re doing this moments could go on. I can’t remember an episode from season two that I didn’t smile all the way through. One of the complaints about season two, especially early on, was that there were too many high concept parodies/homages and not enough episodes about the group. I think that everything evened out in the end. Some of the parody/homage episodes, I think, function as both commentary on the source and as developmental episodes for the Community characters ( Critical Film Studies, Advanced Dungeons & Dragons ). If you’re still undecided about Community (though I think the audience is the audience at this point), you really should check out season one. Even though this is a sitcom, and each episode can be funny on its own, most of us love this show because we love the characters. It isn’t even that I care about them because they’re vehicles for humor. I care about them as much as I care about my favorite characters in literary works and serious TV drama. This show tells good stories. They just happen to be humorous. If you’re one of the people who still thinks season one was much better than season two, I’d encourage you to watch season two again. Personally, I think that season two was slightly better than the brilliant season one. I feel that season two was a little less even, but I think it had more moments of brilliance in terms of both characterization and humor. Back to my original, and only real point: You need to watch this show. Let’s at least get this thing through season four. Edit: One of my sentences didn’t make any sense at all. Also, I clarified (I think) a few of my thoughts.

• shshs says on: April 24, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Greeting from over the ocean. Great article I shall return for more.

• Claudine Kasprowicz says on: May 11, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Hi there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it is really informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I will appreciate if you continue this in future. Numerous people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

• Mariana Gregorio says on: January 20, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Pretty! This was an incredibly wonderful article. Thank you for providing this info.